The Youth Enterprise Development Fund was created with the mission to fostering and promotion of entrepreneurship, typically in the form of micro, small and medium businesses/enterprises. This mission if fully implemented would see the improvement of the livelihoods of youth across Kenya and unyoke them from systemic poverty.
Since 2006 when the fund was established, there has been drama and intrigues at the fund with a lot of political interference in its management. The fund has unfortunately been converted away from its mandate and a few individuals have been enriching themselves. This has to stop.
A few people who have been entrusted with the noble responsibility to steer the fund to greatness have failed and taken to act on behalf of their self-serving interests. The recent blatant theft of 180 Million is an example of the bad publicity that Kenya is receiving today. I the current scandal, a construction company was awarded a tender to provide IT services. The tender was awarded irregularly against the procurement laws.
With the exit of the Chairman paving way for investigations into the irregular award the 180 Million, it is the call by young people of Kenya that the rest of the Board members will follow suit to step aside so that a team that is qualified and passionate about uplifting Kenyan youth can be put in place to do what is right on behalf of the many millions of youth who need the fund's support.
This petition is at mobilizing the support of all young people to get the youth fund back on a track of developing young people's enterprises that need a financial boost for their enterprises.
This petition therefore demands as follows:
1. THAT a team of professionals be appointed to carry out an audit of the successes and failures of the fund and an institutional strengthening plan be put in place;
2. THAT the Youth Fund be properly constituted through an Act of Parliament and a sustainable policy framework set up for its operations;
3. THAT a seat on the Youth Fund Board be set aside for a nominee elected by the youth or in such a consultative manner by the youth sector stakeholders through a popular process;
4. THAT the board must be accountable to the youth through quarterly reports released for the consumption of the public;
5. THAT a review of the fund’s strategic plan be instituted to ensure its priorities are aligned to the economic emancipation of the youth of Kenya and a rapid plan to restore the credibility of the fund implemented;
6. THAT all senior staff and Board Members undergo a lifestyle audit for accountability and transparency in their service;
7. THAT an oversight authority be established to oversee the studious implementation process of the board.
8. THAT a judicial process to ensue immediately to prosecute officials implicated in the loss of funds from the Youth Fund in the current allegations.
9. THAT the youth organizations in Kenya to participate in promoting the uptake of the fund by the youth and in holding the fund managers accountable.